TRICARE Standard is a fee-for-service option. When you use TRICARE Standard, you have more choice in providers as you can seek care from any TRICARE-authorized provider, but you will have higher out-of-pocket costs.
- Enrollment is not required for TRICARE Standard and TRICARE Extra—there are no enrollment forms to fill out and no enrollment fees.
- You may use TRICARE Standard and TRICARE Extra interchangeably as often as you like.
- With TRICARE Extra, you choose hospitals and providers within the TRICARE network and enjoy discounted costshares.
- With TRICARE Standard, you choose TRICARE-authorized providers (non-network) and pay higher cost-shares.
- If you are using the TRICARE Extra option, your provider will submit claims on your behalf.
- Understand the differences between urgent and emergent care.
- Active duty family members
- Family members of National Guard and Reserve members on active duty for more than 30 consecutive days (under federal orders)
- Retired service members
- Family members of retired service members
- Others (i.e., certain former spouses, Medal of Honor recipients, etc.)
Costs vary based on the sponsor's military status. After you've met an annual deductible, you're responsible to pay a cost share (or percentage).
Learn more from TRICARE